Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Night Shift, love it or win!

Night Shift 2016
Love it or Win it!

Night Shift, love it or hate it!  Reminds me of my clinical rotation days...night owls, newbies or the land of the really pale people.  On April 23rd, I hit a different kind of night shift time-clock.  The Velo Vixens were host to the 6 hours of Night Shift Mountain Bike Race at Enterprise South Nature Park trails. Six hours of flowy, dirty goodness.  What more could a girl want!

My Scott’s Bikes/Trek Racing teammate, Beth Lofgren and I teamed up for the Women’s Duo Category.  Beth was in the midst of training for the Chattanooga Half Ironman, my family and I were moving the following day...WHO DOES THIS TO THEMSELVES?!?!?...Uh, that is me!  It could have been more complicated, but when is racing easy!

Special thanks, as always, to Scott’s Bicycle Centre for having the Big Dawg (Trek Top Fuel 9.8(.5)) ready to roll, as well as having spare Lights and Motion lamps for the after dark portion.  The Scott’s Team tent serviced as our oasis between laps.

The first lap was mine to shred.  The great equalizer, PAVEMENT, separated the pack at the start. Adrenaline flowing, my heart pounded out of my chest, it's race time!  The trails were perfect, HERO DIRT, it had rained just enough to knock down the dust.  The trails gripped my Bontrager Team Issued SE3 tires. I know these trails, my home track, each rock, root and turn has been mapped in my mind, and Strava, over miles and miles of training runs. First comes Black Forest, rolling short up and down hills with lots of more for speed. I was able to keep a solid pace knowing, that Beth was itching for her chance. The TNT trail went by in flash!  BOOM...Log Rhythm kept me swaying to the flow of the trail!  Blistering down to the transition area for a quick trade, my first lap was the books.

Across the timing mat, the hand off was completed, Beth was on her way. It was great to see her blast off to start her lap. No holding her back now!

Did you think I was the only Lawson that races?  NO, of course not, my husband does too.  He was racing the 3 hr solo in the Clydesdale Class.  No bony little man for me! I was able to help refuel his water and food, as he was heading out on lap #2.  Love you, Craig!

Family time is a must!  My children have been part of races (theirs and mine) since the early days; hanging out with race friends, grabbing a snack and playing games.  Their sweet encouragements refuel my soul.  All three were chilling under the team tent, taking in the joys and sounds of Mother Nature.  It is the simple things that change our worlds.  The passing smile from my littlest one, a wink from my son or a "Love you, Mom" from my oldest daughter.  Those moments keep me going!  No matter how hard life, or the race, they keep me grounded.

With my water bottles full, replenished calories and a recharged soul, my muscles needed some attention.  Virginia Lee with Revive Massage Therapy was just what the doctor, or Nurse Practitioner, ordered. All I can say, MAGIC HANDS…AHHHHHH, what a relief!  I have been struggling with left leg and lower back pain for the past year.  Virginia has been a part of my personal care team.  She has kept me moving! Thank you, Virigina.

A little extra special encouragement for Beth’s final lap :0, and this race was done!  Sub-hour laps, 60 miles in total, we were in 1st place for our cat. OKAY, so we were the only women's team, but who is keeping track…WE RACED, they didn’t...WE WIN! Going back looking at the times for the Men's Duo Teams, we were 5th place overall. Yep, a couple BA working moms whipped some…

Oh, and my husband, he took 3rd in his race!  #proudwife

I have two more blog posts dropping soon...stay tuned!  A little insight into the Trek Top Fuel 9.8(.5).  An escape to North Carolina's mountain bike heaven with my stud of a hubby and BA friend, Ginger.  Plus, my first attempt at controlled drowned…AKA, a triathlon. 

Keep the rubber side down!  Never miss an opportunity to spend quality time with your family, each minute in the past, can never be relived.  Cherish those moments, making stories one scare or bruise at a time.  

Mountain Biking Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment